Ninth Month Consults + Advisory
WE ARE THE GO-TO PEOPLE FOR UNDERSTANDING BIOETHICS
BIOETHICS is an organized way of thinking about moral problems in medicine, science, technology and man-made institutions that affect people and other living things. Bioethics helps to figure out what we "ought" to do. The more science and technology grow, the more people need to make informed decisions. Practice in the bioethical approach provides a basis for better moral decisions and actions.
WHAT WE ARE
Ninth Month Consults is an independent 501c3 bioethics consultation practice based in New Mexico. The purpose of the organization is to support, locate and provide resources for multi-platform screen projects with bioethical relevance that can improve:
- Health literacy
- Health awareness.
Ninth Month Consults seeks to resource screen projects (film and tv) that serve needs identified through our bioethics consultations. Our consultations involve:
- clinical cases with patients and human research subjects and
- broader non-patient issues of institutions, organizational policy, historical perspectives (resource allocation, research direction, emerging technologies, fictional and non-fictional screen media, law, ecological and humanitarian violations.)
- Ninth Month Consults has on going projects developed to serve its Mission including Bioethics Screen Reflections, critiques of bioethically relevant screen works, and Cove International Publishers to promote new narratives relevant to bioethics.
WHO USES NINTH MONTH CONSULTS?
- Individuals, Families and Surrogates
- Physicians, nurses, transplant services, organ donor organizations
- Health system administrators, Hospital Bioethics committees
- Conservators and attorneys
- Policy makers, non-profit foundations, corporations and institutes
- N.G.O.s and Relief Organizations
- Scientific researchers, educators and Institutional Review Boards
- Screen directors, producers and writers
NINTH MONTH CONSULTS OFFERS VALUE
Ninth Month Consults believes:
- Bioethics understanding we want depicted on screen should come from the reality of individuals and communities.
- We transfer the sense of what we learn from consults to screen artist who want to be bioethics relevant
- Independent creative screen artist have difficulty finding resources to support their projects
- Bioethical decision making impacts health.
- Tools of bioethics need to be accessible to the average person.
- Ninth Month’s broad plexus includes bioethicists, physicians, communications specialists, market researchers, lawyers, financial experts, designers and screen artists; all helpful to bioethics communication on screen.
- Though popular media influences the general population’s understanding of health issues, little of it has accurate bioethics content or analysis.
- There is less health and bioethics content in popular screen works aimed at viewers most affected by health and health care disparity.
HOW DOES NINTH MONTH CONSULTS WORK?
Ninth Month Consults uses a bioethics facilitation approach in both clinical and non-clinical consultations to mediate, share expertise and provide recommendations about:
-Best use standards for bioethics relevant clinical management, media creation, and viewing,
-Educating, improving,demonstrating understanding for bioethical decision making, and organizing the approach to decisions in ethically charged situations.
-Ranking relevant considerations in order of priority
-Providing reasonable approaches to implementing decisions
-Reviewing evidenced-based knowledge
-Clarifying issues and devices to promote individual autonomy, considering the balance in distribution of burdens and benefits to those most at risk for abuse in systems, and documenting the process of bioethical analysis related to a given consultation.
WHERE DO NINTH MONTH CONSULTS OCCUR?
In the home territory, actual or virtual (through video/telecommunication), of the person needing the consultation and where the ethicist may :
- Conduct a physical examinationconfidential interviews
- Review clinical charts, test, consent processes, protocols and evidence based literature, historical document, films etc.
- Communicate with surrogates and relevant members of the interdisciplinary care team
- Access institutions: (committees, regulatory agencies, institutional review boards) and virtual institutions (literature, written policy, procedures)
WHEN ARE NINTH MONTH CONSULTS AVAILABLE?
- As determined by the urgency of concerns and consultant availability.
- Where possible business hours should be observed
- Frequently, in clinical medical settings families or individuals need to be met outside the normal workday
- Ninth Month Health Care Ethicists strive to be respectful and accommodating.
- Clinical consultation reports may be provided to clinicians through secure confidential EMR or by phone outside of business hours upon request.
WHO ARE THE NINTH MONTH CONSULTS CONSULTANTS
September Williams, MD is the founding member of Ninth Month Consults and the principle bioethicist. Her attributes include:
- Fellowship training in clinical medical ethics at the University of Chicago’s MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics.
- 30 years of clinical medical practice
- 20 years and more than 1000 of case/non-case based health care ethics Consultation --Author of cross-disciplinary and cross-culturally relevant books, articles and films and more than 1,000 Health Care Ethics Consultations primarily in public medical facilities.
- Drawing on a broad network of bioethicist, healthcare, Science and not-for-profit organizations, as well as the literary film, arts and communications experts with networks operating on the interfaces of diverse fields and cultures.
- Member of the the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities, the National Writers Union, and the International Federation of Journalists.
-Additional consultants and board members are in multiple fields including, allopathic medicine, nursing, complimentary medicine, social work, psychology, ecology, engineering, literature, dance, screen works, film, television and other arts.